Continuous Reteaming: Adopt Self-selection and Start Moving People to the Work!
What if your engineering teams didn’t have to be static? What if you could form them, disband them or adapt their composition every 3 months? And people could pick what they work on?
Is it a recipe for disaster? Or would it give you the flexibility to work on what has the highest business impact, increase engagement and develop your future leaders? What are the tradeoffs? How do you balance short term impact with long term ownership and platform stability?
In this talk, I’ll tell you how I initially led a team of ~20 people from a static structure to something a lot more dynamic where reteaming happens quarterly, and how we are now scaling those practices to 60 people. I’ll share with you:
– How we plan our quarters and let people pick what they work on
– How we create constraints to make sure the important work gets done while developing knowledge sharing
– How we use OKRs to create alignment and track progress
– How we keep in sync and engage with our stakeholders
– How lead time is decreasing as a result
I’ll also share details on our journey: our mistakes, our learnings, what we still struggle with 1 year later and why we think this is strongly aligned with Agile core values!